The program is designed for two different age groups:
The middle-school version is easier to read, but still contains rich themes and provides an excellent starting point for discussion.
- Soldier’s Heart by Gary Paulson (American Civil War)
- The Gadget by Paul Zindel (Atomic age)
- So Far From the Bamboo Grove by Yoko Kawashima Watkins (WWII)
- Red Midnight by Ben Mikaelsen (Guatemalan Civil War)
The high school version has longer, more sophisticated books and could also be enjoyed by an adult reading group.
- Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers (Vietnam)
- Forgotten Fire by Adam Bagdasarian (Armenian genocide)
- Soldier X by Don Wulffson (World War II)
- Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo (World War I)
Book Discussion In a Box
Caught in the Crossfire organizers will receive:
- 10 copies of each of the titles in the program (40 books total)
- discussion questions and enhancement materials
- list of supplemental activity ideas
- list of recommended films
- evaluation tools
- promotional posters
Discussion questions for all age groups will be included, as well as discussion questions for suggested additional titles, a list of supplemental activities and suggested film/dvd titles for tie-in programming. Plus enhancements that will help young readers understand and relate to the material: a picture book, author interviews, articles about the featured time periods and locations, background on military history and weapons, timelines, recipes.